Mexican Cornbread Casserole
This recipe is a bit odd, as people either love the idea, or hate the idea. But one thing is the same: once people taste it, they all really like it!
Mexican Cornbread Casserole
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish and set aside
2. On medium high heat, brown the onions (5 minutes) in 1 tbsp of butter, then add the ground beef & spices, and cook until browned and done.
3. While that is browning, mix together in a large bowl the corn meal, baking soda & salt. Then add the milk, can of creamed corn, eggs, & butter.
4. Pour half of the batter into the greased baking dish
5. Put meat into pan over batter
6. Cover meat with peppers and any other "topping" you want (beans, tomatoes-see note with ingredients)
7. Put the cheese on top of that
8. Pour remaining cornmeal mixture on top of the whole mess!
9. Bake for 45 minutes until it's golden all over, and you can smell it!
Let this cool for about 5 minutes before cutting and serving it. We like this with a big ol' salad on the side.
Have a great weekend!
Sharon Vanden Enden
1/3/2014 04:13:28 am
Ooh la la!
1/3/2014 10:25:51 pm
I love the idea
1/5/2014 07:37:11 am
I'm going to make this tonight! Looks delish!
1/5/2014 11:16:20 am
Hello! This looked fantastic so I gave it a try tonight. The cornbread came out really oily. Even when mixing the ingredients there seemed to be an abundance of oil (I used canola), to the point where I started sprinkling in some extra corn meal to try to absorb some of it. We really enjoyed it otherwise so I'd like to try again. Other than maybe reducing the oil to 1/3 cup any suggestions on what may have gone wrong? Maybe next time I'll try it with butter like you mentioned above.
1/5/2014 07:58:27 pm
1/7/2014 08:50:04 am
The recipe reads to use 1 Tablespoon of butter to brown the onions in, but I see no more mention of butter, just oil mixed with the milk, creamed corn and egg step.
1/7/2014 08:28:46 pm
2/18/2014 05:01:53 am
If I don't have creamed corn on hand, can I use frozen?
2/18/2014 11:14:44 am
Well, the creamed corn really gives the cornbread it's moisture, so, I would say maybe make a quick half batch of homemade creamed corn to use in it (there is a recipe for that on this blog). Or, perhaps as a really quick fix, use frozen corn mixed with milk and a bit of parmesan cheese to make up the amount of one can of cream corn.
Leave a Reply.
Hi, I'm Amy-Lyn!
I am the lady behind this here blog! I live in the sticks with my animals, my super handsome husband, and my
3 amazing kids!
Here you'll find things from recipes (gluten-free, paleo, and strait up junk food!), DIY ideas, thoughts on raising a son with autism, and whatever else pops into my brain! : )
Read more about me by clicking here!
Want to Stay Connected?